Saturday, January 1, 2011

What a Week...

Our lives normally are pretty routine, scheduled, orderly. This week has been one of sheer chaos, to the point that I have cried an endless number of times and my normally calm husband has nearly hit breakdown mode several times as well. I don't have time to go into the details at the moment. I thought that starting a new year today would turn over a new leaf on this week, but it culminated in the little one splitting her lip and experiencing her first blood-shed. Now, I know that accidents and owies are a part of childhood and that I shouldn't be surprised, but since she's such a careful kiddo, we have gotten by without any major incidents. But she was playing in the basement while we went upstairs to make lunch (as she often decides she'd rather do) and the next thing I know, she's wailing and standing at the bottom of the stairs, dripping blood. I felt like the WORST mother in the world for not being there when she fell (she hit her lip on the wooden ballister at the bottom of the steps- there's a gouge in the wood where her tooth must have hit). When it was all said and done and she was calm, I cried while cleaning the blood off the carpet. I didn't cry for the sake of the carpet, but rather because of the horror and pain of seeing my child bleed.
And so begins a new year...
It will get better, right?

1 comment:

a. borealis said...

Ugh! We've had times like that before -- they are TERRIBLE. And it feels like it will never end. I hope things turn the corner for you soon.

Poor little L. Did she have to get stitches or will the cut heal on its own?