Wednesday, January 12, 2011

This and That

Random things from the last week or two...
  • 39 weeks tomorrow. We are as ready as can be, though I still have great aspirations of making up a bunch of meals to put in the freezer. I did some major grocery stock-up last week, to the point that it looks like we're planning on not leaving the house for many weeks. But I can't imagine getting out with 2 under 2 in this frigid winter weather, so I thought I'd stock up. I will say, the "nesting" instinct really kicked in for both Charlie and I in the last 1.5 weeks and we have done a ton of work to get the house cleaned, the nursery ready, Laila's room finished and shop for new living room furniture. Yes, on top of everything else, we thought it was a great time to start over on the living room decor. Couch to be delivered 2 days before my due date. Yikes. I think we got a bit overzealous with nesting.
  • I am terrified of childbirth again. The last time was never blogged about, as I didn't know how to put it all into words, but all I can remember is serious pain and everything going by so quickly that I felt out of control during the whole situation. We are anticipating an even faster delivery this time (less than the 2.5 hours it took for Laila to be born?!??!) and therefore, we might choose to have an induction (just breaking my water) in order to have a more controlled situation. Having a child at home or on the way to the hospital in the middle of January is not my idea of a good time, so we are probably going to side with the midwife on this one. Will know more tomorrow after my midwife appt.
  • Laila has changed so much in the last 2 weeks. She started to walk on Jan 1 (hence, the split lip that same day) and while she is still very cautious, she is doing more every day and often walks from room to room without hanging on to anything. She gets so excited about it and tries to do a little dance when praised. She's saying more words, especially "Mama" and "Dada", which is so endearing. She's eating like a champ, doing lots of sign language, has figured out where I keep the chocolate chips in the cupboard, learned how to pick her nose (much to our dismay), and likes to stomp (for fun, not out of anger). She is really good at letting us know what she wants or that she understands us by nodding "yes" or "no".
  • I get a bit verklempt when I realize Laila's not going to get all of my attention anymore. I anticipate that she's going to have a hard time with it, as she is very sensitive about change. But I have had two friends (both of whom had 2 kids very close in age) this week tell me to remember that I am giving her an incredible gift by giving her a sibling and to remember that when I am feeling guilty about not giving Laila as much time as I used to give her. At first, I didn't think too much of this idea, but then I started thinking about how fantastic my childhood and adulthood have been because of my sisters. I can't imagine my life without them and that's what I hope Laila will feel someday.
  • We are supposed to get 100 lbs or so of beef in the next week or two from our family friends in WI. Not great timing as far as getting the freezer cleaned out and ready, but it will be great for bringing my hemoglobin back up after childbirth (if it's anything like the last time, when I bled a ton and was anemic for weeks).
That about covers it.

No comments: