Friday, June 6, 2008

Nostalgia

I saw the farm and it won't leave me alone. I spent the 10 hour drive home trying to run away from it and yet it keeps finding me. I keep trying to reason with it and say that I am a city girl, raised in the 'burbs and now live in an urban refuge. I know nothing about farming, only the tidbits I picked up as a kid. But it keeps reminding me of what it was and the state that it's in now.
I think I am a prisoner to nostalgia.
I decided that I need a place to throw out these thoughts and many of the others that go through my head as I am running, gardening, traveling. Maybe I need affirmation, maybe I need someone to disagree with me, maybe I just need to see it written down in order to decide if my musings are completely absurd.

1 comment:

pwrunner said...

I didn't have quite as long of a trip home as you, but seeing Grandpa and Grandma's farm brought back so many memories. Memories that I don't want to forget. I never realized how beautiful the pasture was until this past weekend. Seeing the farm and remembering what it once was stirs up this longing in me for life that's simpler and less crazy. I experienced a similar ache in my heart to see how things have changed in the past 20 years. I know part of life is letting go, but do we have to let go of everything in the name of progress?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It stirred up a lot of thoughts/emotions in me that I hadn't had time to ponder.