Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A great idea at first...

So my grand plan for the month of March was to do some serious spring cleaning. Ambitious for anyone with a baby, I'll admit, but cabin fever set it hard at the end of February and I needed a plan to make the (usually snowy) month of March pass quickly. Cleaning parts of the house that never see the likes of soap and water sounded like a great way to pass cold, snowy days. I made up a giant list of all of the things that I'd love to get cleaned. I started off strong and then something surprising happened. Spring came early. Not just a little bit of melting or sunny days in the 30s. We're talking full-on 50s and 60s, sunshine, snow melting in front of your eyes, robins appearing, birds merrily chirping early in the mornings SPRING. With this kind of glorious weather bidding me to be outside, my cleaning plans have been tossed aside like a prom dress. I've tried to stick with the cleaning, but honestly, as soon as I step outside, I just can't hack the indoors any longer. So, the 3 of us have been living it up out of doors as much as we can.
I will admit, I thought that I could ignore the gardens for awhile longer, reminding myself that it's only March and that there's plenty of time left to clear them from their wintry mess. But every time I stepped out the side door, I was greeted by the gardens and their blanket of mulch, all screaming at me to get outside and do something about it. So after I plunked Peanut down on a blanket where she was perfectly content to play with her toys, I dove into the gardens, discovering little spring treasures under the leaves. Hooray! I didn't finish all of it today, but I will admit, I was proud of myself for putting aside the list that feels like a weight around my neck, for seizing the moments of beautiful nature, and for putting down the rake after awhile in order to have some snuggle time in the canvas swing with Peanut.

And now that it's midnight, I figure it's time to crash. The list can wait yet another day. What's one more day for the fridge/freezer that haven't been defrosted or cleaned in 4 years?

No comments: