I was reading our neighborhood newspaper today and found out that Whole Foods is doing a recycling program with a community group and it's for #5 PP plastics. It's about time!! I have been saving up #5 plastics in my basement and in my "containers" drawer, in the hopes that someday, I'd find a way to recycle them. I can't stand throwing away those big yogurt and sour cream containers and while I find other uses for them (freezing chicken stock, using them in the garden with the bottoms cut off to protect new little plants, etc), they're getting to be too plentiful for me.
I wondered when someone in our recycle-happy city would come out with a program like this. In fact, just a few weeks ago, I was bemoaning this very fact to my family and friends while we were at the cabin. My thought is, if they can create these plastics, why can't they come up with a way to "uncreate" them or turn them into something else? The science, I argued, must be out there- it's just a matter of who is going to pay for it. I personally think the companies who create/use the plastic should be held responsible for the recycling or disposal of these items. But, that aside, at least someone is creating a program for this!! That should quiet me for awhile.
No comments:
Post a Comment