The pickles are almost gone!! Only two left. My mom gave me this fantastic recipe a few years ago for pickles (not the canning kind- I'm not that talented!). She and my dad grow an excess of pickling cukes to feed her canning habit (and she's an award-winner!) and they pass the extras on to me. I make pickles and put them in a 5 qt ice cream bucket and they last throughout the next 10 months or so. Or at least they used to. Being the preggo lady has caused me to binge on pickles some days and now I'm at the bottom of the pail. Needless to say, I am ready for July and the cukes, so that I can make more!
The magic recipe (it hardly takes any time to make these).
Refrigerator Dills
Cut a large number of pickling cucumbers into spears, round, or leave small ones whole
1 tsp alum- place on bottom of bucket
1 lg onion, diced
4-6 garlic cloves
1 tsp mustard seed
4-6 dill heads
Place all of the above in the 5 qt ice cream bucket.
Heat:
1 1/2 qts water
1 pt white vinegar
1/4 c (large 1/4 c) canning salt
Pour over pickles while hot.
Let stand for 3 hrs.
Cover and refrigerate for at least one week.
This recipe will last all winter long and the flavor gets better as they sit longer. I know that my friend Mimi added some other flavors to this recipe- I want to say jalapenos or extra garlic- to add some extra zing.
No comments:
Post a Comment