I am obsessed with summer, can't get enough of it, never want it to end...until I get a whiff of fall and then the anticipation of a new season comes around and summer is cast off like last year's shirt.
Fall is in the air...
Technically, it's still summer and what a glorious summer it's been! But at the cabin this past weekend in WI, the mornings were crisp and cool and there was a distinct smell in the air that can only be fall. The past two mornings, we've woken up in our upstairs bedroom with the window wide open and cool air coming in. This is, I'm sure, only exciting to us, as we are sick of the a/c on every night. This is one of the few beefs I have with our house. Our bedroom is the 1/2 story upstairs...cute, charming, and hotter than hell. It's like living in a tent- nothing between the us and the great outdoors but a little tarp. Freezing in the winter, hot in the summer. The central air doesn't even cool down that room, so we have this ancient hog of an air conditioner that came with the house and blasts us with cool air every night of the summer. We are thankful for that beast, but even more thankful when it can be silenced.
So, back to my original point, which is that fall is in the air. Even if you can't smell it, you can sense it in the crazed children at the store, intent on driving their moms to a breaking point of "I can't wait till you kids go back to school!" You can see fall's approach in the mums for sale at the garden centers, in the back-to-school ads, in the piles of pencils for sale at Target. Secretly, I miss that anticipation of school, of soccer practices, cross-country meets, new fall wardrobes, shopping for those new pens and notebooks, wondering what exciting things this new school year will hold.
I have to go water plants now. A subtle hint that it is, in fact, still summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment