Thursday, September 11, 2008

Technology Dependent

I am without internet right now and it is KILLING me. I am off work for a chunk of days right now, so I have no access to emails, banking, paying bills, etc unless I go to a coffee shop. Not very convenient when I'm at home painting and doing a bunch of projects (photos will eventually follow, when I have internet at home again). I had to call up my sister and announce to her that I'm coming over to use their internet. So I am sitting here in their office while she and her husband sit on the couch and get caught up on their day. Weird. I really didn't know how dependent I was on the internet until I realized that I can't check the weather online, I can't check email to find out where my family is in the plans for birthday get-togethers next week, I can't finish making plans with friends for coffee dates, I can't update my facebook status, I can't blog about the things that are running through my head as I paint all day. My next thought after realizing that I can't check the weather online was that I could just turn on the TV. Nice idea, until I remembered that our TV is in the repair shop (note: they don't make 'em like they used to- that TV is less than 3 yrs old!!!!!). I had no idea how much I used modern technology in my everyday life. And I am struggling to make it...so I'll be on the phone with the wireless company and Xcel tomorrow (they cut the power lines to the wireless node, in the process of removing GIANT elm trees in our neighborhood- another sad story to blog about). I am afraid that they're going to start labeling me a "problem customer", as it will be my 4th or 5th phone call to them this week.

No comments: