This, I know, is not very exciting for an update. But the part of preparation for the cabin that's been so fascinating to me is hearing Laila talk ALL day about the cabin. Not just repeating the word "cabin", but talking about things that she remembers up there or things that happened the last time or two that we were there. She'll get really quiet and look off into space and then suddenly talk about "moon at cabin"- she and I took a mid-morning walk last time we were there and we saw the white moon still in the bright blue sky. She was fascinated. Or she'll talk about the toys up there or my parents. And I'm pretty sure that having no concept of time only frustrates her, as she can't understand when tomorrow is. So she asked for "cabin" all day and when I said "later", she'd start to cry. The irrationality of those moments is pittance compared to observing her growing excitement for a trip to a place that she knows and realizing that her ability to remember is fully engaged. It does make me wonder what her first actual memories will be. My first memory is from Christmas of 1978, right after I'd turned 2. That's Laila's age. Crazy.
1 comment:
Precious. Sweet, precious little one. Isn't it so fun to hear what they remember...? It always makes me so sad, because I know that memory is fleeting (though sheesh . . . you remember something from when you were two??). My theory is that our brains get so filled up there just isn't enough room to be able to conjure things from that far-past.
I'd be curious to hear about your memory. Is is a sequence of events, or just a general feeling from that moment...? My first consistent memories start somewhere around 4 or 5, though I do believe I may have foggy remnant for age 3. Blaine just said the other day that he can remember bouncing in a Johnny Jump-up! I thought that was pretty amazing.
I hope you're having a nice time at the cabin! I hope lil' Laila is enjoying the moon. :)
Post a Comment