I just need 5 minutes to have a giant pity party for myself and then, get back to doing life. I want someone to whine with me, to feel sorry for me, to be as weepy as I am about parenting and my child not being what I thought they were going to be. Honestly, I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall most of the time. I truly don't know what to do with a kid who refuses to walk, is a picky eater, who screams when we take her to Babes at church, who hangs onto my leg constantly when I'm in the kitchen. I just have moments in which I want to ask her (and have her reply!), "What kid doesn't like Cheerios or any other kind of breakfast food, for that matter?!??!?!" "What kid doesn't want the independence of walking around and exploring all on their own?" "What is wrong with the foods that I make for you!??!?!" Of course, I can't say this to her, as I don't want to shame her for being the way that she is and I am trying SO hard to just be understanding of the phases that she's in and who she is as a 16 month old. I am trying to just love her as she is and encourage her and accept her. But DANG, this is hard, day in and day out.
OK, I'm done. I said what I need to.
1 comment:
Oh my, yes. It's hard. Especially if she isn't doing what "everyone else is doing". Or what you thought she'd be doing.
Parenting, I'm realizing, is constant adaption. It's hard to remember that, I think. I feel like I've only just started to truly understand, 5+ years into it. If something doesn't work, toss it out and try another tactic. There's no shame in methodically working the system until you finally find what works for your babe.
I suppose it is about patience and letting them be who they are, too. That can be hard, especially if you're irritated with their idiosyncrasies.
Don't fret, friend. Hang on and keep lovin' that little girl. Enjoy these last few months you have with just her and just breathe.
I hope I haven't trivialized your outcry -- just responding with some thoughts that sprung up as I read.
Are there any nutrient-dense foods that she has latched onto? I'd let her go primarily with those while continuing to introduce new stuff. I've seen it myself: it really CAN take up to 12+ maddening times of consistent introductions until they finally accept a new food. And work at remaining calm -- your stress is going to affect them. (Believe me when I say, I've had to swallow and force myself to chill out many-a-time.)
I'm so sorry for the angst and struggling you're facing! It's hard, so hard. We love them so much, don't we? Sweet mamas.
Post a Comment