Thursday, December 4, 2008

One Tough Bird

Note to self: if you buy a "stewing chicken" it is literally just for that...stewing. It means it's going to be a tough old chicken that makes great stock and that's it. I had bought a stewing chicken and some chicken thighs to cook up for stock and then use the meat in soups. However, I discovered that the meat from the stewing chicken couldn't even be pulled from the bone, whereas with the separate thighs that I bought, the meat just fell right off the bone. So, lesson learned: stew with it, don't try to eat it.

3 comments:

a. borealis said...

Interesting!! So you couldn't even pull the meat from the bone?!

a. borealis said...

Where did you get it, and was the stock a success?

Honeybehr said...

I had gotten it from Lunds, along with some thighs (which were quite tender and made tasty meat for soup). I think I remember my mom saying something about if you have an old bird, you just stew it up...but I forgot about the part where the meat is quite tough. I got some meat off the bone, but tried to eat it and it was like shoe leather. But the stock was great...froze a bunch and made 2 huge batches of white chili for two dinner parties on Tues and Wed. I love making stock...I love how the house smells, I love how the soup tastes and it's so easy!